Translate blog

6/27/14

The new Barroso could be ...


For the next president of the European Commission, the European Council has proposed today, 27 June, Jean-Claude Juncker, one of the European candidates designated by the European parties during the elections campaign. The Parliament will vote on his candidacy during the plenary session on 14-17 July. 


President Barroso declared: let me begin by expressing on my own behalf and on behalf of the European Commission my congratulations to Jean-Claude Juncker on his nomination by the European Council as President-designate. I have known Jean-Claude Juncker for more than 20 years. We have been working in very many capacities together and I really believe that he is committed European and a political leader with exceptional experience. Myself and the Commission will do everything possible in the coming months to assure a smooth transition between this Commission and the next one.

The road to the new Commission begins...